Author Archives: mrmorksmotorcycle

About mrmorksmotorcycle

I love working on motorcycles and guitars...

Entering winter storage

Standard

So now she’s in the shed for winter…that doesn’t mean I won’t continue to work on her, but it’s a definite slow down as winter comes on strong and we are moving toward our shortest days of winter. I ordered new connector wire for the turn signals as well as the connection for the headlight and parking light which will need to be installed. I also have some spare relays that I can install if the ones that are in the bike now are bad. That being said, there are a variety of things that I will be working on next and when I pull her out of storage:

  1. I’d like to get the carbs cleaned out and new fuel filters put on
  2. Drain all the gas out of the tank and touch up the paint
  3. Need to study up on how to safely remove paint from some parts of the tank without causing a spark…
  4. Review the stanchions, replace if necessary and fill up with fresh fork oil – purchased from Eurosports already…
  5. Tighten up the fork caps with the wrench that’s in the tool kit I bought for the bike
  6. Replace the cables that I have, tach, spedo, throttle, any others that need it
  7. Sell any parts that I’m done with or have duplicates of. I have a couple of headlight buckets and turn signal posts mixed in with a nice grab bag of overkill parts that I won’t need
  8. Connect up the rear lights with the loom. I’d like to find a 6 connector mail to female 16gauge connector so that if the rear end ever has to come off, this can easily be disconnected right under the seat.
  9. Install front turn signals
  10. Put new yellow, green and grey wires into the left hand control switch array
  11. Connect all the electrical up in the headlight bucket – I’m so stoked that I understand all of the electrical hookup now – it actually makes sense to me!
  12. Buy a new battery
  13. New spark plugs
  14. Oil change
  15. Research into other start up items for a bike that has sat for 15-25 years…
  16. Figure out how to safely clean out the brake master cylinders, recharge the systems and get the brakes safe
  17. Fire it up.
Advertisements

New boots and ears

Standard

The headlight ears were pretty damaged in the accident, just like the headlight housing, so I replaced them with the better used ones. I also put on fresh gaiters on the stanchions and as I mentioned before I left the pvc spacers out of the fork springs and I added in a spacer under the steering column nut since the addition of the turn signals lifted the headlight ears about 2mm.

More front end tear down…

Standard

Solving the eccentric pin issue allowed me to move forward with the removal of the fork sliders. I was surprised how much fork oil was in the forks, probably around 150ccs each, nice oily surprise. When I removed the fork sliders I realized how damaged they were from the accident, but the stanchions looked great. I will end up taking them off down the road, rolling them on a piece of glass and seeing how straight they are. The right fork slider was much more damaged than the left, but the left one had some damage as well, so I replaced them both. I had purchased a whole new front end for this bike, a used, but new to me front end and so I replaced the damaged fork sliders with the much better ones that I had bought separately.

Tearing the front end apart

Standard

When I took the fork filler caps off there was a a sizeable amount of force that blasted the cap off in my hand. I kept better pressure on the second one as I took it off so it wouldn’t break my hand in the process. The pvc spacers must have been in place for the Luftmeister fairing. When I reassembled, I left them out since I’m not putting a fairing back on. One thing that wasn’t super clear in my manuals and online was the fact that once the hexagonal bolt and spring are removed from under the break caliper, the eccentric pin pulls out rather than unscrews. The eccentric pin is an interesting design element to allow for adjustment of the brake pads to the rotor. I used one of the other bolts from the brake line bracket to slightly thread into the eccentric pin and pull it out. You can see that this sequence of photos stops at the distal end of the eccentric pin…I was stumped…

Photos before wheel removal and bottom fork removal/replacement

Standard

These preliminary photos were mainly to make sure that after I tore everything apart, I could get it back together again!

Figuring it out

Standard

So the summary of my latest discoveries is that this bike is an R100/7 that had a luftmeister fairing put on it. this is great news from a wiring perspective because I can just put on the side blinkers, order the wiring for them and a new light plug harness, put on about 10 replacement wires for wires that were fried during the wreck (from the heat of a broken light I believe) and the electrical should be much improved. I also order a new light relay as well, just in case. I need to create some new connections from the tail light and rear turn signals to the under seat harness connection and hopefully that part will be done and I can turn my attention to some carb clean up….shade tree mechanic in October….in Colorado…

Wire spaghetti

Standard

For the life of me I could not figure out what this big cable was that was in the mix of the other headlight wires. Down the road I found the other connector in a box of parts and realized it was the connection for the Luftmeister fairing. Once I figured that out I was able to take it and its associated wires out of the mix.